RFC: the linprocfs problem when portupgrading linux_base

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.homeip.net
Tue Apr 22 13:17:06 PDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:01:24 -0700
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> You didn't explain what the problem is, but I have a couple of
> comments on the proposed solution.

Mea culpa, I should have explained it better.

The scenario is as follows: User has linux_base installed, and the port
is updated. User runs portupgrade to update an existing linux_base, and
has linprocfs mounted. When portupgrade tries to backup the old port,
cpio fails in /compat/linux/proc and the upgrade is aborted.

> 1) You don't re-mount it afterwards if you unmount

I have mixed feelings about remounting it, It's trivial to add it,
though.

> 2) This will not work if installed via a package.  You need to use a
> pkg-install script for that (and the pre-install target should call
> the script instead of duplicating code).

Point taken, someone could try to `portupgrade -P'. Note that this only
affects people portupgrade'ing linux_base, not new installs.

Cheers,
        Miguel Mendez - flynn at energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt
        EnergyHQ :: http://www.energyhq.tk