Building ports in a chrooted tree

Mike Patterson mpatters at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 22 08:58:43 PDT 2003

I'm interested in creating a clean build environment for ports,
something like the one used on bento.  (See last paragraph for my
reasons, and feel free to let me know if I've apparently been smoking
substances of doubtful legality.)

I've had a look through the porters handbook and it doesn't seem very
clear the best way to go about this.  Looking at bento, I found the two
tarballs it uses to create a chrooted environment, except the problem is
they appear to be for 4-stable or 5-current: my machine is RELENG_5_0.

So, I assume that what I'll have to do is have a look at how
/usr/src/release does it.  Is that the best way to proceed?  Did I miss
some documentation somewhere?  Is there a HOWTO anywhere for this?  If
not, should there be?)

[0] I have a couple of reasons for this: currently my office has only a
handful of FreeBSD machines, and the only one I can reasonably build
ports on is my workstation.  I'd like to be able to, for example, build
apache+modphp without interfering with my apache+modssl+modperl
installation.  I also want to test a new port and don't want to have to
pkg_delete -a on my workstation to make sure it builds cleanly.  I've
solved this problem in the past by simply creating a machine that
mirrors my server environment and does all the ports building, but I
don't have that luxury now.

thanks,

Mike

--
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and
that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde