use_gnomeng

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 20 15:24:14 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 18:19, Doug Barton wrote:

> > > Doug -
> > >
> > > USE_{GTK,ESOUND,IMLIB} are still defined in bsd.gnome.mk.
> >
> > Still defined now for backwards compatibility.  However, this won't
> > always be the case.
>
> That's your plan anyway, however it's the plan that is currently under
> discussion.
>
> > > However, Doug, if somebody uses USE_GTK instead of USE_GNOME=gtk12, they
> > > are also then unable to use other useful gnome macros such as
> > > gnomeprefix and gnomehack.
>
> I'm talking about apps which use gtk that don't use any part of gnome.
> There seems to be a common misconception that gtk is part of gnome. It
> isn't. Ports that ONLY need gtk should not be dragging a bunch of gnome
> stuff in with it.

But that's not what happens at all.  By doing:

USE_GNOME=	gtk20

All you're saying is that I want this port to use GTK+-2.  You're not
bringing in any additional GNOME components at all.  The same is true
for the gtk12 component.

> > > That being said, I do agree that USE_GTK and USE_GTK2 macros will make
> > > the learning curve a bit less steep.
> >
> > Now, sure...but as new releases come out, should we add USE_GTK3,
> > USE_GTK4...?  I think it scales better to have the one system that
> > accepts a list of components rather than defining new macros everytime a
> > new API release comes out.
>
> If that is your actual concern, then let's define 'USE_GTK= 2', etc.
> However, I don't think individual USE_GTK_FOO macros are all that hard to
> manage.
>
> My point here is simply that subsuming gtk under gnome forces non-gnome
> ports to drive a screw with a jackhammer, and that type of design is
> flawed from the start.

I don't see how this is the case at all.  If you want to experiment,
take a port that only uses Gtk+-1.2, remove all the USE_GNOME stuff, add
USE_GTK=yes, then do a make package-depends.  Then, replace USE_GTK=yes
with USE_GNOME=gtk12, and do the same make package-depends.  You should
get the same thing.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	marcus at FreeBSD.org