Recent bsd.port.mk changes

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Apr 17 21:57:55 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:32:32AM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Kris, I don't think I agree with one of the changes that went in to
> bsd.port.mk today.  I'm trying to do an upgrade of libgtkhtml from 2.2.2
> to 2.2.3.  When I do such things, I install the new port to an alternate
> PREFIX while keeping the old version around.  With the recent changes, I
> can no longer do this.  The ports system informs me that:
>
> ===>  Installing for libgtkhtml-2.2.3
> ===>  libgtkhtml-2.2.3 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
>       If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
>       this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of libgtkhtml-2.2.3
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> When, in fact, it is not installed.  libgtkhtml-2.2.2 is installed.  The
> change in question is at line 2879 (the check to see if another port
> with this ports origin is installed [ports/48646]).  Yes, I can set
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER, but when I go to make deinstall, it now removes
> _both_ ports.  I'd like to request this, and possibly the smarter make
> deinstall be backed out.

Hmm..but previously if you had libgtkhtml-2.2.3 installed (i.e. the
same version) this would also have failed.

The major benefit of this change is that it prevents people from
installing one copy of the port over an older version, thereby
screwing up their /var/db/pkg and possibly leaving orphan files lying
around.  I think that is important enough that it should stay in, in
some form.

In your case since the PREFIX is different they don't actually
conflict so one might argue that it should be allowed.  I suppose
that's something that could be checked in bsd.port.mk by extracting
the prefix for the existing package from the contents file and
comparing to PREFIX.

Kris