possible problem with XFree86 port (and/or with FreeBSD's version of Opera)

Yury Tarasievich grog at grsu.by
Wed Apr 9 14:21:27 PDT 2003

There may be a problem with FreeBSD's port of XFree86, specifically in
mouse handling.

When I use Opera for FreeBSD with XFree86 port, I find that trivial
clicking on the link that points to a local object (file) won't work.
Opera just begins showing busy indicator (0%) and does nothing forever.
Clicking on the link pointing to "remote" object works. Selecting
"Click/Open" from pop-up menu works. Clicking with shift and/or control
modifiers works. I was able to reproduce this with Opera versions 6.10,
6.11, 6.12, FreeBSD 4.7, ports of XFree86 4.2.1 and 4.3.0. There were
two more or less similar HW setups with serial port and PS/2 mouses
respectively. Presence of moused daemon and therefore type of mouse
protocol was irrelevant.

This problem doesn't show up when I compile and install XFree86 through
make World && make install -- I checked this with 4.3.0 and vaguely
remember experience with "hand-built" 4.2.1.

Anything else I can help with?