break up cyclic dependency openldap21 <-> cyrus-sasl2

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Wed Apr 9 02:54:59 PDT 2003

Christian Kratzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm trying to enable OpenLDAP 2.1 SASL support. It is easy to patch
>>net/openldap21 and security/cyrus-sasl2 so that they compile with each
>>other, but then I've got a cyclic dependency cyrus-sasl-2.1.12 ->
>>openldap21-2.1.16 -> cyrus-sasl-2.1.12. Obvioulsy portupgrade doesn't
>>like cyclic dependencies. FreeBSD Porter's Handbook
>><http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/>
>>does not mention this, so I am stuck.
>
> the questions here is what are you trying to do with cyrus-sasl and
> openldap.
>
> Some background:
> 1) Openldap can use sasl for authentication.
> 2) Cyrus-sasl comes with an ldap auth component that it
>    can optionally be built with.
That is exactly the reason why I've got the dependency.

> We could break this cyclic dependency by moving the external ldap
> auth component of cyrus-sasl2 into a separate port / package.

Hmmm, do you mean a cyrus-saslauthd2 package, with dependencies:
   cyrus-saslauthd2 -> cyrus-sasl2
   openldap21 -> cyrus-sasl2

It is probably a good idea, but we have to do major modification to the
cyrus-sasl2 build process.

> Hoewer this is usually not necessary as you propably dont need both
> functionalities at the same time.
>
> For example if you use ldap to manage your users in an isp environment
> you might use cyrus-sasl2 with saslauthd.ldap to authenticate
> smtp relay users from ldap.  You will then propably not use sasl
> with your ldap server.
Why not? For example to manage my user database?

Regards,
     Oliver