FreeBSD Port: exim-4.12_1

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Thu Apr 3 20:27:36 PST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 03:34 AM, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On (2003/02/07 13:05), Mark Edwards wrote:
>
>> Since you are now configuring the exim port for IPv6 support by
>> default,
>> I thought I'd share a problem I encountered when updating to the
>> current
>> port.  The configure.default file sets:
>>
>>  hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1
>>
>> which is to allow local processes to relay mail.  If a process is
>> IPv6-enabled, it may attempt to communicate as ::1 (IPv6 localhost) and
>> receive a "relay denied".  One such port that does this by default is
>> /usr/ports/mail/mailman
>
> Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one.
>
> Please refer me to the original discussion on the exim-users mailing
> list and I'll take a look.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Here is the archive of the thread:

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20030203/049332.html

Basically all that is needed is a note in the port explaining that some
other ports, such as Mailman, will attempt to communicate using IPv6 and
be denied using the default configure file.  I solved the problem by
adding:

local_interfaces = 0.0.0.0

to my exim configure file, which tells exim to listen on all IPv4
ports.  Another solution is to add:

hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1

which tells exim to allow relaying from both IPv4 and IPv6 localhost.

--
Mark Edwards
Engineer