MAN<x>-like support for .info files as well?

Kimura Fuyuki fuyuki at hadaly.org
Thu Apr 3 16:38:32 PST 2003

At Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:38:55 +0200 (CEST),
Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> We have nice support for man pages in our ports build machinery in
> the form of MAN1, MAN2, and so forth.
>
> Given the not-too small number of ports which install .info files,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to have similiar infrastructure for them
> as well?

Yes, indeed we need such a facility to deal with info files
easily. But how? I think it should allow us to specify at least the
following things:

1. a info file to pass install-info as an argument
2. a wildcard(?) for split info files
3. a section in the directory (install-info --section)
4. an info directory entry (install-info --entry)

For example,

* databases/bbdb

1. bbdb.info
2. bbdb.info
3. "The Emacs editor and associated tools"
4. "* BBDB: (bbdb).             The Insidious Big Brother Database."

* shell/zsh

1. zsh.info
2. zsh.info*
3. none
4. none

And of course, one port may has multiple infos.

* devel/autoconf

1a. autoconf.info
2a. autoconf.info
3a. none
4a. none

1b. standards.info
2b. standards.info
3b. none
4b. none

How can these be expressed? The following is a thought, may look too
hairy...

* Template ("n" is number of the info, can be omitted. 2,3,4 are optional.)

INFOn=	1 2
INFOSECTIONn=	3
INFOENTRYn=	4

* databases/bbdb

INFO=	bbdb.info
INFOSECTION=	"The Emacs editor and associated tools"
INFOENTRY=	"* BBDB: (bbdb).             The Insidious Big Brother Database."

* shell/zsh

INFO=	zsh.info zsh.info*

* devel/autoconf

INFO1=	autoconf.info