Setting make options permanently (WITHOUT_GNOME, etc)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Apr 2 17:43:07 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:18:45PM +0000, Andrew Sparrow wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:15:30PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:14:19AM -0800, Andy Sparrow wrote:
> >
> > > For some bizarre and inexplicable (at least to me) reason, everyone who
> > > bikesheds around Yet Another Way to provide persistant build options to
> > > ports completely ignores this extremely convenient, pre-existing and
> > > perfectly functional mechanism.
> >
> > One of the design features of the ports collection is that it can be
> > used read-only, e.g. mounted read-only via NFS.
>
> I know thanks. I frequently update/install ports (and/or worlds,
> for that matter) on my firewall that were built on a faster machine.
>
> Other than the fact it's a little difficult for the port you're
> installing to create .install_done.${PORT} on a R/O FS, it seems to
> work fine.

That's what WRKDIRPREFIX is for.  Of course, WRKDIR is not persistent
because it is deleted whenever you do 'make clean'.

> (and, IIRC, you may need to remove the .install_done file - from
> the serving machine, naturally -  otherwise make thinks it doesn't
> need to do anything).
>
> >  Makefile.local cannot be used there.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. The options in the file are used
> to build the port.
>
> If those options are not applicable to the machine on which you
> install it, then that's as doomed an act on the user's part as
> setting the CPU architecture to P4 on the building machine (e.g.
> in make.conf) and then installing the resulting binaries on a 486.
>
> Could you clarify your statement if I've misunderstood what you meant?

I meant that for people using a RO ports tree, Makefile.local in the
port directory is not an option.  Given that this is a supported use
of the ports collection, Makefile.local cannot be a general-purpose
solution for storing local configuration state for the port.

> > > If I want to use BS dialogs[0] to configure things, I'll install Linux
> > > or Slowaris, thanks very much. I *like* setting stuff once in text
> > > files, and I *like* unattended, automatic, recursive-with-my-local-option
> > > s ports upgrades[1] after my cvsup/build/installworlds.
> >
> > Don't use it then..easy!
>
> Some ports don't provide the ability to set build-time options
> either via the Make command-line, make.conf, pkgconfig or
> Makefile.local, they will instead implicitly start a dialog and
> prompt the user to interact with them, halting the build.

I was talking about my patches which replace the ad-hoc dialog
configurators in some ports.  They allow you to choose not to enter
the configurator if you don't want to.

Kris