Setting make options permanently (WITHOUT_GNOME, etc)

Andy Sparrow spadger at best.com
Wed Apr 2 00:14:56 PST 2003

> Interesting. What happens when you upgrade?

It isn't affected.

> I don't think Mergemaster looks
> at anything but /etc. Does the Makefile.local file ever get overwritten?

No, not that I've noticed.

> Or
> when cvsupping?

Again, no. There's no Makefile.local in CVS, so it doesn't touch it in
any way because it considers it a local file. As it should.

> I confess I'm not that happy with using pkgtools.conf.

Heh. Then you have an option :)

And I agree. Loading 100's of port-specific options into a file that's
specific to 'portupgrade' isn't the Right Way (TM) IMHO. And should this
file ever change (e.g. format) as a result of a change to 'portupgrade'
itself, you've got a potential migration problem. Not to mention that
the string quoting and format in this file is often unnecessarily
convoluted.

I often want to build a port manually (e.g. outside portupgrade),
tweaking configure and other options. So long as you initiate the make
from the port's top-level, you'll pick up all your "regular" options
without having to hunt them down.

Actually set out one evening to frob exactly this functionality (the
Makefile.local mechanism) into the port makefile system (mostly because
I like to upgrade my ports in batch mode, unattended), but discovered
quite quickly whilst reading them that it had been there all along, just
not advertised/documented (or, for that matter, ever mentioned on the
mailing lists, AFAICS). Dunno why.

For some bizarre and inexplicable (at least to me) reason, everyone who
bikesheds around Yet Another Way to provide persistant build options to
ports completely ignores this extremely convenient, pre-existing and
perfectly functional mechanism.

If I want to use BS dialogs[0] to configure things, I'll install Linux
or Slowaris, thanks very much. I *like* setting stuff once in text
files, and I *like* unattended, automatic, recursive-with-my-local-option
s ports upgrades[1] after my cvsup/build/installworlds.

Apparently, I am alone in this. It's even more puzzling, because I don't
ever see it as mutally exclusive at all. But that's life. My systems
work the way I want them to, YMMV.

Regards,

AS

[0] On which topic, the mplayer-skins port has been prompting twice via
dialog for the skins to install for almost a year now, and other people
have asked about it on this list, so I know I'm not imagining it :)

[1] And no, just setting 'BATCH=yes' doesn't cut it - then it just skips
the ports that need configuration options, like Ghostscript, Postfix,
SNMP etc. etc.