[Bug 219941] editors/vim usability regresseion, at least for vim-lite users -> new port editors/vim7

bugzilla-noreply at freebsd.org bugzilla-noreply at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 12 12:57:01 UTC 2017


https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=219941

            Bug ID: 219941
           Summary: editors/vim usability regresseion, at least for
                    vim-lite users -> new port editors/vim7
           Product: Ports & Packages
           Version: Latest
          Hardware: Any
                OS: Any
            Status: New
          Severity: Affects Only Me
          Priority: ---
         Component: Individual Port(s)
          Assignee: adamw at FreeBSD.org
          Reporter: bugzilla.freebsd at omnilan.de
             Flags: maintainer-feedback?(adamw at FreeBSD.org)
          Assignee: adamw at FreeBSD.org

Why a new port editors/vim7?

At some point, vim-lite auto-enabled "visual" mode when selecting text with the
mouse.
Having used vim-lite from ports for many years out of the box, I was very
annoyed especially since the upstream documentation is horrible, at least for
non participating developers.

Recently, the out-of-box config additionally resulted in a ESC delay (made
cursor keys behaving differently until timeout passed ?!?), which made vim-lite
completely unusable for me.
Lots of confusing blogs/sources mentioned different solutions/things to blame. 
After I spent a decent amount of time trying to find a reason why I'm forced to
manually intercept to get vim back to the last-15-years-behaviour, I spent more
time looking at competitors – with only joe fitting my CLI needs.  But I'm
quiet quick with vi for my tasks and don't see a chance ever reaching the same
efficiency with joe (jmacs).

So I went back to vim and decided to create an inofficial vim7 port, to avoid
any upcoming operational surprises. 

Simply checked out r422333, the last 7-version (7.4.2367 which already had the
visual-mode defaults.vim, introduced at any point after 7.4.1832) and
incorporated the "official" patches for CVE-2016-1248 and CVE-2017-5953.

Most important, the FreeBSD port specific vimrc was extended by 'let
skip_defaults_vim = 1'.

The latter is one easy solution to get rid of the 2016 introduced heavy usage
regression, at least for vim-lite users.
So I'm voting for inclusion in editors/vim.

Whether people might need/want vim7 in the official ports tree is beyond my
scope.
If so, here's a skeleton to start (will add different attachments in separate
comment, since I can only attach one file here?).  Decision should be descussed
with recent and current vim maintainers I guess.

-harry

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.


More information about the freebsd-ports-bugs mailing list