[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADS UP] Change to the header in ports Makefiles, take two

Thomas Abthorpe portmgr-secretary at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 17 16:22:46 UTC 2012

It was recently posted on,
http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2012/09/01/change-to-the-header-in-ports-makefiles/
that we would adopt a new header for the ports Makefiles.  The initial
discussion seemed to show enough support for the idea of completely
stripping the header, leaving only the $FreeBSD$ tag.  After the
announcement was made, more people stated strong feelings that when and
where possible attribution be maintained in the header.

A private discussion was held among ports committers, and while opinions
were as varied as the individuals who shared them, it was decided to unify
on a two line header.

# Created by: J.Q. Public <jqpublic at someaddress.com>
# $FreeBSD$

The Whom line from the classic six line header becomes Created By.

Sometimes, as a result of a repocopy, or changed maintainership, the
Created By and MAINTAINER is no longer in synchronisation.  To avoid
confusion, the first line can be removed, to ensure only the MAINTAINER
is contacted.  This gives us the following two line header.

#
# $FreeBSD$

As before, we ask this header only be updated in conjunction with a
regular update, as we do not want any unnecessary churn to the repo
prior to the pending Ports Feature Freeze.

Thomas
on behalf of portmgr@

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2012/09/17/change-to-the-header-in-ports-makefiles-take-two/