[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] [HEADSUP] current switched by default to pkgng

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 10 16:31:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 06:25:08PM +0200, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 03:44:21PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If you are using the ports tree on a FreeBSD current setup, then you are
> > concerned by the announce.
> >
> > As nvidia-drivers has been fixed and is now properly working with pkgng, the
> > ports tree as been switch by default to use pkgng on FreeBSD Current based on
> > version >= 1000017 which was the version when we tested the switch code.
> >
> > Make sure to read UPDATING (from ports) to correctly migrate your system or find
> > instruction to make your system still running with legacy pkg_install tools.
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
>
> Hello Baptiste,
>
> Thanks a lot for your hard work.
>
> I've been using pkgng for a while on 9.0 and it's been a great experience.
>
> Right now you can use pointyhat packages[1] if you use old pkg tools. Is
> there any plan to create binary packages more often than once per release?
>
> Regards.
> Victor.
>
> [1]: http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-10-packages-latest/
> --
> La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
> planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.

Yes there is http://pkg.FreeBSD.org (no website in there no need to try to
there) which will point you to pkgbeta.freebsd.org where some packages resides.

Unfortunatly the package building cluster needs some time to get more reliable
and thus the packages out there are not updated very often.

regards,
Bapt