Will pkg in base break the base?

Erik Lauritsen eriklauritsen at yandex.com
Thu Jan 30 01:20:27 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have posted this question on "questions", but realize that maybe this is
the right place :)

I have always really liked the FreeBSD separation between base and the
packages, and I love that you can do a "pkg delete -a" and not worry
about the kernel or the base system.

Occasionally on Linux, especially in the past, a failed update to some
packages renders the entire system unusable, and even Debian with its
"apt --fix-broken" and "apt install -f" sometimes just runs in an
unending loop unable to fix some dependency mess.

With pkg for base, would a "pkg delete -a" then also delete the kernel
and base etc.?

I have searched the archives, but I couldn't find this specifically
discussed, please forgive me if I have overlooked something.

Kind regards,
Erik