CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

Ken Moore ken at ixsystems.com
Mon Apr 29 12:55:25 UTC 2019

On Monday, April 29, 2019 8:08:08 AM EDT, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> Cc: list trimmed to relevant.  Very long essey below, be warned.
>
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 03:52:21PM -0400, kris at ixsystems.com wrote:
>> FreeBSD Community,
>>

>> I'm pleased to announce a CFT for builds of FreeBSD 12-stable
>> and 13-current
>> using "TrueOS-inspired" packaged base. These are stock FreeBSD
>> images which
>> will allow users to perform all updating via the 'pkg' command
>> directly. ...
>
> I do not know what are design decisions for trueos pkgbase are, but I
> do know something about in-tree split and why some packaging decisions
> where made. I cannot attend your WG, but I believe the reasoning used
> for the in-tree is important enough to represent it intact from the
> source.  I have to start with some explanatory long text to put it into
> the proper perspective.
>
> There are two knots of interdependinces which are critical for correctness
> of any upgrade where the target system cannot be simply
> discarded on failure:
> 1. C runtime
> 2. Minimal boot path to prompt.
> Let me elaborate both, starting from point 1, which is
> typically very obscure
> despite having the fundamental nature for anything related to upgrades.
>
> The basic execution environment for any program executed by the FreeBSD
> kernel is formed by combination of kernel' syscall interface and some
> system userspace code which makes the expected environment over the
> bare-bone image state after execve. The environment is typically named
> C runtime environment since C language ABI is directly tied into it,
> and normal C programs only get whatever is provided by the C runtime
> unless additional libraries are linked in. Trully, it is not just C
> runtime, any other execution environment on top of the OS is based on
> this one, but since almost every 'advanced' language runtime is backed
> by C language and its runtime, the name stuck.
>
> FreeBSD C runtime, arguably, is provided by the following four objects:
> 	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
> 	/lib/libc.so.7
> 	/lib/libthr.so.3
> 	/lib/libm.so.5
> There, we do *guarantee* that the external ABI of the whole pack of
> these four objects is backward compatible, i.e. if the binary was
> compiled against set if base libraries at earlier date (may be also
> on earlier branch), then the binary behaviour would be same when
> executed on newer C runtime pack. This is not trivial to achieve,
> besides technical measures that helps there, like backward-compatible
> syscall interface, symbol versioning, providing fall-back code for
> older interface, a lot of overhead in the development is enforced, like
> carefull reviews of the changes, the policy and related discipline of
> versioning, following published ABI standards, and so on.
>
> But, internal ABI of the C runtime pack, i.e. interfaces which make rtld
> [...]

Konstantin:
Please read the pkgbase documentation that Kris posted in the CFT
(https://trueos.github.io/pkgbase-docs/). Your issues/questions keeps
referencing the packaging used in the current FreeBSD base-package
implementation instead of the pkgbase system proposed in this CFT.

TLDR: The package format proposed here does not follow the
current/experimental base package format, but rather is a new ports-based
implementation which tries to mimic the traditional distfile outputs of
FreeBSD in package form.

Because this new base package system is governed by ports instead of
in-tree changes to the freebsd source tree itself, this allows for the same
base package implementation to be used on almost any version of FreeBSD
that you like: which is how 12-STABLE and 13-CURRENT package repos were
both trivially created for this CFT.

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
ken at ixsystems.com