Proposal for making the kernel packages preserve old copies

Brad Davis brd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 11 19:28:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Guido Falsi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally cleaned up a local patch I've been using and sent it as a
> code review:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D17119
>

> As stated in the subject this patch uses a deinstall script to make the
> kernel packages copy the kernel directory to kernel.old when
> deinstalling. This leaves a fallback kernel on the system when
> upgrading, which I find quite useful.
>
> I intentionally made it mimic the "make installkernel" behavior.
>
> I did not add any reviewers in the phabric review since I don't know who
> I should ask, but I'd like to get some feedback about this.

Hi Guido,

Good idea, but there is a different plan in the works.  Because potentially there is the desire to keep many kernels around.  So we are going to name all the kernels kernel.version and the loader I believe already knows how to find them.  Allan? Kyle? Do you know what the status is here?

See the kernel section here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase#Project_goals_and_additional_unresolved_issues

If you would like to help work on this I would appreciate it.  If you want to take a look at making pkg understand that multiple versions of the same pkg can be installed, that would be great!

Regards,
Brad Davis