Are signatures of system images verified?

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 29 23:46:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 04:38:05PM -0700, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 6/29/2016 4:03 PM, Glen Barber wrote:

> FYI since Poudriere 3.1.11, it has compared the checksums in the
> MANIFEST against the downloaded packages.  It also now uses
> https://download.freebsd.org by default.  It requires
> security/ca_root_nss.  I thought I had forced that dependency but it was
> missing.  It is added now.

Ah, great, thank you.  To those interested, the MANIFEST files included
were obtained in a secure manner, i.e., bootonly.iso was downloaded and
extracted after the checksum was compared to the PGP-signed email.

> Around that time (January 2016), Colin Percival has been maintaining a
> copy of the MANIFESTS in ports-mgmt/poudriere as well.  Those get
> installed with Poudriere and used during jail -c after fetching if
> available, so that relying on https isn't required.  These were missing
> for ports-mgmt/poudriere-devel until just now.  I've moved them to
> misc/freebsd-release-manifests and made both ports depend on it.

I completely forgot about this.  Thank you.

Glen