I run poudriere - what do I need to do once ports switch over to git?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 9 18:35:22 UTC 2021

On 09/02/2021 15:41, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> subject says it all, basically.
>

> Do I have to re-checkout the ports-trees?
>
> What about going to FreeBSD 13, which supposedly(?) has base-packages?

Essentially, yes.  You will need to create a new ports tree which pulls
from the FreeBSD git and tweak your poudriere setup to use that instead
of your original SVN-based setup. eg.

    poudriere ports -c -p ports-git -m git -B main

(Or delete your original ports tree and re-create it from git using the
same name for simplicity.)

Alternatively you can clone the ports from git separately and then tell
poudriere to null-mount it into the build jails.  That means you can eg.
use worktrees to check out different branches from a single copy of the
repo, and map those onto poudriere.  Effectively it allows you to have
full control over your local git repo rather than letting poudriere do
its usual thing.

FreeBSD-13 does have base system packages available -- I /think/ there
has been some work on building them via poudriere, but I don't know what
the status of that is.  You can pretty easily just checkout /usr/src and
then run `make buildworld buildkernel packages` which will create a
repository under /usr/obj -- either use that as a 'file' based repo, or
point nginx at it.  Probably best to play with base system packages on a
throw-away VM before trying to use it on anything important: until
you've got it properly fettled, there's a risk of stomping all over
important files like /etc/passwd

	Cheers,

	Matthew