A graphical dependency tree viewer?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue Jan 8 11:24:30 UTC 2019

Matthew Seaman wrote:

> >> Does this suit your purposes?
> >>
> >> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/scripts/pkg_tree.sh
> >>

> > The author of the script has the right idea, but the visual presentation
> > of the graph is lacking: the vertical lines going down towards nowhere
> > are confusing: https://termbin.com/vf3u
> >
> > The tabbed view (-n) is a bit better.
> >
> > Also, why is openjdk8-8.192.26_3 twice in the tree (see the link above),
> > is this intentional?
>
> Yeah -- the output doesn't merge common dependency subtrees, so if A
> depends on B depends on C and also A depends on D depends on C, then C
> will appear twice in the output.

I see. I wonder if it would even be possible to merge common dependency
subtrees in this form of ascii report.

However, if the script supported graphviz (.dot) output it would be
perhaps feasible. The merging perhaps could even happen automatically
within graphviz. Please look at the sample graphics I've prepared with
graphviz: http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/t.png I did not do any special
common dependency processing, graphviz merged the "expat" dependencies
for me.

Anyway, even in this form the utility could be useful to me, thank you
for pointing it out to me.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/