A lot of pkg ask to install compat6x-amd64 on current

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 30 12:39:40 UTC 2017

On 29/07/2017 11:50, Artyom Mirgorodsky wrote:
> Hi I see that a lot of pkg ask to install compat6x-amd64. But portmaster
> doesn't require compat6x-amd64. I think this is a bag and possible has
> security problem as this package is very old

How are you invoking pkg(8) that you see this requirement for compat6x,
and what are you seeing that pulls in the compat6x dependency?

By my count there are 4 ports that depend directly on misc/compat6x.
This does not count any ports that depend on these indirectly:

% grep -R misc/compat6x *
devel/cscout/Makefile:LIB_DEPENDS+=	libc.so.6:misc/compat6x
devel/eiffelstudio/Makefile:LIB_DEPENDS=	libc.so.6:misc/compat6x
lang/cmucl/Makefile:LIB_DEPENDS=	libc.so.6:misc/compat6x
misc/compat6x/pkg-descr:LIB_DEPENDS+=	c.6:misc/compat6x
misc/compat6x/Makefile:# $FreeBSD: head/misc/compat6x/Makefile 444437
2017-06-27 00:05:15Z linimon $
security/retranslator/Makefile:LIB_DEPENDS+=	libm.so:misc/compat6x

Now, I wouldn't characterize four ports as "a lot", and I certainly
haven't see any ports myself that pull in compat6x on anything I've been
managing recently.

Anything still requiring compat6x is probably pretty elderly and
unmaintained, but that's a question for ports at .

	Cheers,

	Matthew