Delta packages

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed May 14 23:45:17 UTC 2014

On 14/05/2014 17:53, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> So, while I'm discussing this:  why aren't symlinks checksummed in the
> manifest?
>
> (My current tool works on pkg files, and so it determines what is different by
> comparing the entries.  Symlinks have "" as a hash, which means that it's not
> possible to tell if it's changed between the two versions.)

A symlink is entirely defined by the name of the link and what it points
at.  Calculating 160 bytes of sha512 on top of that would be overkill.

So, why doesn't pkg record symlink name and target in the pkg metadata,
instead adding the symlink as a separate file in the tar archive?
Hmmm....  good question.  We need to fix that.   Issue #804 created.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.