pkgng: "Unable to find catalogs", packages are "Not Found" or "failed checksum from repository"

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Thu Jan 9 18:14:22 UTC 2014

I'm running into pkgng errors on all of my systems:

# pkg update -f
Updating repository catalogue
digests.txz                                             100% 1081KB
1.1MB/s   1.1MB/s   00:00
packagesite.txz                                         100% 5037KB
4.9MB/s   4.9MB/s   00:01
Incremental update completed, 23128 packages processed:
2654 packages updated, 226 removed and 523 added.
pkg: Unable to find catalogs

If I tell pkg install to skip the catalog update, I get:

# pkg install -yU devel/subversion
The following 6 packages will be installed:

         Installing gdbm: 1.10
         Installing db42: 4.2.52_5
         Installing sqlite3: 3.8.0.2
         Installing apr: 1.4.8.1.5.3
         Installing serf: 1.3.2_1
         Installing subversion: 1.8.5

The installation will require 33 MB more space

5 MB to be downloaded
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:32/latest/All/gdbm-1.10.txz:
Not Found

On a system that happens to already have some of those dependencies
installed:

# pkg install -yU devel/subversion
The following 4 packages will be installed:

         Installing apr: 1.4.8.1.5.3
         Installing sqlite3: 3.8.0.2
         Installing serf: 1.3.2_1
         Installing subversion: 1.8.5

The installation will require 18 MB more space

3 MB to be downloaded
apr-1.4.8.1.5.3.txz                                     100%  385KB
385.1KB/s 385.1KB/s   00:00
pkg: apr-1.4.8.1.5.3 failed checksum from repository

I've tried multiple ports and they all do the same (not found or failed
checksum).

One of the systems is 9.1-p6 amd64, the other four are 9.2-R amd64.  All
of the systems have pkg-1.2.4_1 installed.