Poudriere jails.

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 23 11:28:37 UTC 2013

On 7/23/2013 5:09 AM, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> Is there anything special about the jails that poudriere installs with
> "poudriere jail -c"? Should I be able to use a pre-installed jail that
> i have installed with "make installworld
> DESTDIR=/usr/local/poudriere/jails/somejail"?
>
> I'm asking this because if I could install and update the jails
> without using "poudriere jail" command it would save lots of time
> because I could just use the world I already have built for updating
> the build host.
>
> -Kimmo

Yes, they have more done to them than just an install. I do plan to add
a way to import an existing directory into poudriere and to have it
finish initialization of it.

1. It sets up /etc/make.conf
If host is amd64 and jail is i386, this is added:
    ARCH=i386
    MACHINE=i386
    MACHINE_ARCH=i386
This is always added:
    USE_PACKAGE_DEPENDS=yes
    BATCH=yes
    WRKDIRPREFIX=/wrkdirs

2. It updates /etc/login.conf for default class so `uname` is correct:

amd64 host i386 jail:

:setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,UNAME_r=8.3-RELEASE,UNAME_v=FreeBSD
8.3-RELEASE,OSVERSION=803000,UNAME_p=i386,UNAME_m=i386:\

amd64 jail:

:setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,UNAME_r=8.3-RELEASE,UNAME_v=FreeBSD
8.3-RELEASE,OSVERSION=803000:\

3. cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf is ran

4. ld paths updated in jail: /sbin/ldconfig -m /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat

5. /etc/master.passwd generated in jail: pwd_mkdb -d ${JAILMNT}/etc/ -p
${JAILMNT}/etc/master.passwd

6. All of /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/jails/{method,fs,version,mnt,arch}
are added

7. If the jail is on ZFS, a @clean snapshot is required for clone/rollback

--
Regards,