ruBSD 2013 pkg talk report

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Thu Dec 19 20:01:48 UTC 2013

On 2013/12/19 14:10, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 12/17/2013 6:13 PM, Vsevolod Stakhov wrote:
>> Q: What about portupgrade and other related tools? A: I claimed
>> that these tools are going to be deprecated and packages will be
>> managed from pkg even if you want to build a custom package from
>> the sources.
>
> These tools are not deprecated for port building. portupgrade and
> portmaster will live on. They are port building tools. pkg is not.
> These are only no longer intended to be used to install packages.

This was one of my very first questions about pkgng, and in fact I was
not 100% clear on this until your email here. That information would be
really helpful to have on the wiki, and even in UPDATING. Too many
entries (especially from the initial roll-out) say "all users should..."
when it really means "all package-based users." The words "packages" and
"ports" is just not clearly defined in the wiki pages, and I think it'd
help to clarify them.

It would be good to highlight that:
* Building, installing and upgrading ports ("using make(1)") is exactly
the same
* pkgng DOES change how information about installed ports is stored
* portmaster/portupgrade should no longer be used to manage packages
("binary distributions created from ports")

# Adam

---
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org