pkg slow down a lot with simple firewall.

Donald Mickunas dmickunas1954 at fastmail.com
Wed May 27 19:23:21 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I am new to firewalls and trying to learn. I am attempting to set up a pf firewall on FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p5. This is a home computer for personal use and is not part of a server network. "pkg update" will take a minute or more to complete a verification that it is up to date with the firewall on vs. seconds when the firewall is off. I can find no reason for this. I have done a variety of searches online plus in the various forums with zero results. Any ideas?

This is a simple firewall.
Here is my set up:

*/etc/pf.conf*

set skip on lo0
block all
pass in proto tcp to port { 22 }
pass out proto { tcp udp } to port { 22 53 80 123 443 }
pass out inet proto icmp icmp-type { echoreq }

*/etc/rc.conf*

clear_tmp_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
hostname="donsoptiplex"
keymap="us.kbd"
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
ntpd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="NO"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
autofs_enable="YES"