NAT for use with OpenVPN

Phil Staub phil at staub.us
Wed Nov 13 23:20:27 UTC 2019

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 5:37 PM Morgan Wesström <
freebsd-database at pp.dyndns.biz> wrote:

> > See my follow up message. It's the SNAT directive. The tutorial I was
> > looking at was
> >
> > https://www.karlrupp.net/en/computer/nat_tutorial
>
> Well, I'm too inexperienced with iptables to give you and advice here
> unfortunately.
>
> > Definitely. I assume the way to test that would be to attempt to access
> > my router from the outside the same way I would when I log in from the
> > inside.
>
> Yes, connect your phone with mobile data only (no WiFi) and no VPN and
> you can try to browse to the admin interface on your external ip. For a

It never connects. The connection times out.

more thorough test you could install Termux which will give you a Linux
> terminal in your phone. It comes with a built-in package manager so you
> can install your favourite Linux tools. You can use it to install nmap
> which is the defacto port scanning tool to use. The man page will give
> you some examples of the syntax and it will scan for open ports. It
> should only find your 1194 port used by OpenVPN.

I have been using a different terminal emulator, but I like Termux. I
couldn't figure out how to do ctrl characters with the one I was using.

nmap reports only one port open: 1720! I don't know what that's all about,
but another port scanner I have been using didn't find that that port is
open.

Anyway, I'm going to be taking my laptop outside my home WiFi this evening
and I'll see if I can get in to my local network with the OpenVPN client.

Phil