svn commit: r345760 - in head: contrib/pf sys/netpfil/pf sbin/pfctl

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Mon Apr 1 16:47:36 UTC 2019

> On 1 Apr 2019, at 15:48, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]
> >> On 01.04.2019 16:30, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >> It seems it is too late:
> >> 	https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=155409489427092&w=2
> >
> > I am wondering on the above as it has a date of:
> > Date:       2019-04-01 5:01:03
> >
> > which would be in line with Kristof's joke.
> >
> Yes, OpenBSD are clearly joking as well.
:-)

> >> 	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2019/03/29/msg024883.html
> > This is inline with what is being proposed here, NetBSD has
> > old rotted code that needs updated.
>
> [Disclaimer: I do not speak for NetBSD, and based this on my reading of
> that thread]
>
> NetBSD however are serious.
> Their situation is slightly different, in that their primary reason is
> that they don?t have a maintainer for their pf version and it?s
> suffering from significant bitrot.
>
> Our situation is somewhat better. Our pf is maintained and does get bug
> fixes and improvements. Not as many as I?d like, but there?s
> something.

I know for a fact that there is desire, with financials avaliable,
to get our code updated.  I do not think there is any specific
criteria desired, other than moved closer to the OpenBSD version.

> > Rather than do that work
> > twice, do it 1.5 times (implementing the same technology in
> > 2 OS's should be less work than doing it twice.)
> >
> > I believe there is grant money avaliable from a non Foundation
> > source that could be used to do this work.
> >
> I?m not at all opposed to updating our pf, but there are a few
> obstacles (technical: performance, syntax and vimage. Practical: this is
> a lot of work). If people are interested in that discussion I?d
> propose someone start a new thread on freebsd-pf@, and I?ll expand on
> what I think the problems are and what needs to be done.

I have forwarded this mail onto that list, including those who did respond:
	Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher at yandex.ru>,
	Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik at gmail.com>
to the commit,  with my comments here.

> I?d also be interested in knowing what people are looking for from an
> updated pf in FreeBSD. What are the improvements in OpenBSD that you?d
> really like to see in FreeBSD?

I need to bring the person I spoke with at IETF/104 into this
discussion, they can provide additional details.  Sadly I wrote
down the wrong email address, but have resources to get the right
one just going to take me a day.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org