NAT Reflection rules for FreeBSD PF

Oliver Peter lists at peter.de.com
Wed Nov 16 11:05:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:49:18PM +0000, Big Lebowski wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Oliver Peter <lists at peter.de.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 01:03:54PM +0000, Big Lebowski wrote:

> > needs
> > reflection'

> > achieve the
> > via

> > $ext_if

> > > Thanks for your response Olivier! Would you mind elaborating on it a bit
> > > more? I don't understand what you're trying to achieve here, since the
> > NAT
> > > doesn't happen on $int_if (lo0) but instead on $ext_if (xn0). The $int_if
> > > only holds the jail's IP addresses from the $jail_net range. How does
> > that
> > > compare?
> >
> > Ah, it could be that this is a bit different since you only have a single
> > machine, our example was a gateway with two interfaces (ext/int) doing NAT
> > for some machines behind.  Since your packets are created on lo0 and
> > routed to xn0 it might be different.
> > Another idea would be to re-route the packets between the two interfaces:
> >         pass out quick on $ext_if route-to $int_if from ($int_if:network)
> > to $ext_if:network
> >
> > This might interfere with your regular outgoing traffic;  maybe the "to"
> > part needs a bit tuning.  Furthermore I'm not sure about the source
> > addresses...  We have this in production to route some DNS traffic via
> > VPN.
> >
> > Split horizon DNS is no option?
> > Sorry for not being very helpful.
>

> No worries, you've been most helpful so far :)
>
> The host has two interfaces, I simply chose lo0 for jails, because I wasn't
> aware it would matter, so, if needs be, I can migrate jails IP's from lo0
> to xn1 - would it make difference in that I'd now be able to implement the
> reflection somehow, or would I need to get the jails out of the host
> entirely and make the host to provide gatefway functionality only?

Well, you made me curious about this so I created two jails on a
11-RELEASE test machine with a single external address.
	jail0 is on lo0
	jail1 is on lo1

For outgoing service I have:

	nat on em0 from lo0:network to any -> ($ext_if)
	nat on em0 from lo1:network to any -> ($ext_if)

The interesting thing here is that /all/ traffic happens on lo0 - even for
jail1 which sits on lo1 only - which I don't understand.

Furthermore it seems that since the target machine is also the source
machine and does not need any routing the packets are not translated but
directly routed, I tested this with:
	rdr pass on lo0 proto tcp from lo1:network to $ext_ip port 2224 -> $jail0 port 22

jail0 only sees the internal IP since we do not route here.

I was thinking about a mixture of PF and IPFW but this is getting nasty
now.

--
Oliver PETER       oliver at gfuzz.de       0x456D688F