Problems with FreeBSD (amd64 stable/11) router

Ryan Stone rysto32 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:34:59 UTC 2016

Let me confirm I understand what's happening:

1) You want to use your router to vlan-tag traffic from your network, and
then send it out of a lagg over bce interfaces.  The bxe interfaces have
their MTU set to 1500 and the vlan interface to 1496
2) The TiVo is sending packets with a payload size of 1500 and the DF bit
set.

If this is the case, then the problem is simply that when the packets are
passed through the vlan interface, the payload of the packets exceeds the
MTU, but as the DF bit is set, the packets cannot be fragmented.  Your
choices are either to use a 1500 byte MTU on the vlan interface (assuming
that the network that you are routing to can accept 1518 byte packets), or
only advertise a 1496 byte MTU in your internal network.