Near-term pf plans

Niels niels at netbox.org
Sun Sep 6 03:18:08 UTC 2015

> On 24 Aug 2015, at 18:16, Kristof Provost <kp at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>>> - PR 202351
>>> This is a panic after ip6 reassembly in pf. We set the rcvif to NULL
>>> when refragmenting. That seems to go OK execpt when we're refragmenting
>>> broadcast/multicast packets in the forwarding path. It's not at all
>>> clear to me how that could happen.
>>
>> if_bridge wants to forward ipv6 multicasts. pf refragmentation code tries to send out the resulting packets using ip6_forward() which does not handle multicasts, drops the packet and tries to log that fact, which causes the panic.
>>
>> I’ve updated the PR with some more thoughts about this.
>>
> Yes, I saw that pass by earlier. Thanks for that, I think you did a great analysis.
>
> Unfortunately there are other issues with pf on bridges. (See PR 185633 for example)
> I wouldn’t expect the fragmentation and reassembly to work at all in that scenario.
>
> I’ll see what I can do about at least fixing the panic in the short term.
> Even if the reassembly/refragmentation doesn’t work (on bridges) we should at least no panic.
>
> Regards,
> Kristof

Is this just the very same issue I see after upgrading to i386 releng/10.2 on my pf/bridge/ip6 router?

It has a bunch of interfaces bridged on the lan, and an mpd/ng interface with IP6 default route over it. Right after booting it crashes with

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address	= 0x14
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x20:0xc0c0175d
stack pointer	        = 0x28:0xf279346c
frame pointer	        = 0x28:0xf2793474
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 12 (irq268: em3:rx0)
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0