Unable to upload to S3 when pf is activated

Kristof Provost kp at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 14 20:19:25 UTC 2015

> On 14 Dec 2015, at 21:04, murdoch.john at moumantai.de wrote:
> this might sound as a strange question, but when I activate the PF
> firewall using a minimal rule set (see below), uploading files to
> AWS S3 becomes impossible.
> I am lost. Anyone any ideas.

Am I right in assuming that the FreeBSD machine is also running on Amazon?

There’s a know problem with pf and TSO which manifests (among other places) in EC2 instances.
It’s actually been fixed in stable/10, so the 10.3 release will have the fix.
In 10.2 you can work around the problem by disabling TSO (ifconfig foo0 -tso should do the trick).

See PR 154428, 193579, 198868 for more information.

Regards,
Kristof