Near-term pf plans

Kristof Provost kp at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 24 16:16:16 UTC 2015

> On 24 Aug 2015, at 17:33, Markus Gebert <markus.gebert at hostpoint.ch> wrote:
>
>> On 23.08.2015, at 17:09, Kristof Provost <kp at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> - PR 202351
>>  This is a panic after ip6 reassembly in pf. We set the rcvif to NULL
>>  when refragmenting. That seems to go OK execpt when we're refragmenting
>>  broadcast/multicast packets in the forwarding path. It's not at all
>>  clear to me how that could happen.
>
> if_bridge wants to forward ipv6 multicasts. pf refragmentation code tries to send out the resulting packets using ip6_forward() which does not handle multicasts, drops the packet and tries to log that fact, which causes the panic.
>
> I’ve updated the PR with some more thoughts about this.

Yes, I saw that pass by earlier. Thanks for that, I think you did a great analysis.

Unfortunately there are other issues with pf on bridges. (See PR 185633 for example)
I wouldn’t expect the fragmentation and reassembly to work at all in that scenario.

I’ll see what I can do about at least fixing the panic in the short term.
Even if the reassembly/refragmentation doesn’t work (on bridges) we should at least no panic.

Regards,
Kristof