Syncookies under stress in FreeBSD, issues?

Alex Flex aflexzor at gmail.com
Sun May 19 04:45:30 UTC 2013

Hello,

While I understand that this question is not directly related to pf, iam
sure the users concerned with security and firewalls use syn cookies.
Iam currently a linux user looking to switch to FreeBSD due to the fact
we are recieving large amounts of syn floods and linux behaves rather
odd, specifically ive noticed that when syn cookies is enabled under
linux it tends to use only one core to process those and thus does not
evenly distribute the load which concerns me.

Iam wondering if anybody has load tested FreeBSD syn cookies, and if I
can be given references to the amount of pps it has been able to handle
(under random sources) ... or if there is some specific tuning advised.

Any orietnation is appreciated. Thanks/

Alex