Using pf and Tor DNS port

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 22:48:02 UTC 2013

I am having problems setting up Tor's DNSPort using pf.  In FreeBSD
8.x I was able to just run Tor with the "DNSPort 53" config file
option with no problems.  Now, with 9.1, when I run it with that
option, I get a permission denied error when trying to bind port 53 on
localhost.  I assume this is from tighter reserved port restrictions:
now you must be root.  Running Tor as root is not recommended, so I'm
trying to forward all traffic from localhost port 53 to port 9053
where I have Tor configured to listen now.

I created a second loopback like so:
ifconfig lo1 create up 127.0.0.2

I added the following two rules:
rdr pass on lo1 inet proto udp to port domain -> 127.0.0.1 port 9053
pass out quick route-to lo1 inet proto udp to port domain keep state

The above is not working.  Any suggestions?