PF bugs

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at gmx.com
Sat Jun 22 18:51:53 UTC 2013

Hi Chris (and list),

On 06/22/2013 04:44 AM, Chris Buechler wrote:
> pf is actively developed and maintained on FreeBSD, and widely used.
> The PRs that are open are largely ages old, no longer relevant and
> need to be cleaned up, or were bunk to begin with. There aren't really
> that many open either considering, every component of any widely used
> OS has open bugs. That's not indicative of anything in itself
> generally. FreeBSD+pf is the base of a significant number of
> firewalls, 180,000+ known live systems on pfSense alone (though that's
> not quite stock FreeBSD pf, it's close), and many others.

It seems that people think that pf is unmaintained.
Quite a disheartening thing for the person that did the hard work
to create the smp-friendly pf in FreeBSD-10...

I would be very happy if you had some performance comparison numbers
between the old and new pf code that you would like to publish!

Thanks a lot,

Nikos