Upgrading FreeBSD to use the NEW pf syntax.

Paul Webster paul.g.webster at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 02:23:13 UTC 2012

Good day all,

I am aware this is a much discussed subject since the upgrade of PF, I
believe the final decision was that to many users are used to the old
style pf and an upgrade to the new syntax would cause to much confusion.

There was a recent debate on ##freebsd about this issue and I was inclined
to mail in and get your opinions; basically it boiled down to the majority
of users wanting either:

1) To move to the newer pf and just add to releases notes what had
happened,
and
2) my own personal opinion: creating 'pf2-*' as a kernel option tree,
basically using the newer pf syntax and allowing users to choose.

I would be interested to know the feedback from you guys as to be honest
there seems to be quite a few users who actually DO want the new style
format and functionality that comes with.

I Attached the log of the conversation just for reference.

-- Thank you for your time
-- Paul G Webster 'daemon'