Getting Involved

Ermal Luçi eri at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 27 09:58:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Greg Hennessy <Greg.Hennessy at nviz.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> That doesn't sound unreasonable, bearing in mind how much we all $ENJOY using the operating system precisely because the interfaces are defined and stable between major releases.
> I would not have expected PF 4.7 and above to be backported.
>
> Reading between the lines of earlier posts I was getting the impression that in case of PF it had been decided to set the 4.5 version of PF in stone for now and ever more in FreeBSD.
> Could be the wrong end of the stick on my part though.

Thinking from an concurreny context, the latest version in OpenBSD is
'easier' to adapt.
Less critical datastructure to teach about concurrency...

Though the real issue with the later versions is that the guys are
just, almost, 'embedding' pf(4) into OpenBSD kinda ipfw(4) used to be
in the old days on FreeBSD.

Ermal