VPN problem

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Mon Sep 12 23:51:50 UTC 2011

On Monday 12 September 2011 02:29:36 Artyom Viklenko wrote:

> This is what I have in my home router's pf about GRE:

[snip]

> pass in quick on $ext_if inet proto gre from any to any no state

> Pay attention to pass rule on external interface - use 'no state'!
> Without it the first gre packet from VPN server will create wrong
> state and these packets will not reach VPN client in the home LAN.

Thanks a million, Artyom !

You nailed it! This fixed my problem at BOTH endpoints!

But look at how particular that is!.

And why in heavens name this wasn't happening before? The fact that I never
needed that rule before, and after maybe a couple csups now I do, worries me a
bit. I can't help wondering if this sort of thing may happen somewhere else on
a next (now improbable) csup.

> Any single PPTP connectios always work fine but - as noted before -
> ONLY ONE.

This was never an issue in my case.

> Anyway, consider migration to L2TP.

Not anymore thanks to you !!