9-BETA3 "current entries" growing indefinitely

Bradley W. Dutton brad-fbsd-pf at duttonbros.com
Tue Oct 4 21:22:50 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just updated an 8-STABLE box to 9-BETA3 and have a problem where PF
keeps growing the "current entries" indefinitely. I saw another person
with a similar issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.current/browse_thread/thread/f350be446d1914d8?pli=1
But I didn't get any reply.

I rebuilt world again once more after the initial 8-STABLE upgrade to
see if it would fix itself but no luck. My firewall rules haven't
changed and from what I've read I shouldn't need to change anything
for this update. Anyone have any ideas? Flusing states will clear out
the 34 states but won't clear the current entries. I've had to do the
following in pf.conf to keep my home router up for more than a day:
set limit states 1600000  # this used to be 30k

Thanks,
Brad

pfctl -ss | wc -l
       34

pfctl -si

Interface Stats for em0               IPv4             IPv6
   Bytes In                      3305522392                0
   Bytes Out                      425326123                0
   Packets In
     Passed                         3651954                0
     Blocked                          25784                0
   Packets Out
     Passed                         2919432                0
     Blocked                            737                0

State Table                          Total             Rate
   current entries                   229706
   searches                        45831728          148.2/s
   inserts                           229706            0.7/s
   removals                               0            0.0/s
Counters
   match                             287626            0.9/s
   bad-offset                             0            0.0/s
   fragment                               0            0.0/s
   short                                  0            0.0/s
   normalize                              0            0.0/s
   memory                                 0            0.0/s
   bad-timestamp                          0            0.0/s
   congestion                             0            0.0/s
   ip-option                              0            0.0/s
   proto-cksum                            0            0.0/s
   state-mismatch                       264            0.0/s
   state-insert                           1            0.0/s
   state-limit                            0            0.0/s
   src-limit                             62            0.0/s
   synproxy                            2194            0.0/s