one ADSL connection with 10 static IPs and PF

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun Nov 27 05:21:30 UTC 2011

On 26 November 2011, at 18:05, Gholam Mostafa Faridi wrote:

> we had Leased line before and we had 27 static IPs before , but our ISP do not support is very well , and we change our ISP and we buy ADSL connection with 10 static IPs , my NAT Server is OpenBSD 5 , and I will change it FreeBSD 8.2 .
> Can I do this with FreeBSD 8.2 and PF ?

Should work fine.  I have been running a somewhat similar setup for a couple years without any issues.

> Do I have to add some options in Kernel or no ?

Probably not.  I use a custom kernel because I need the quota option.

> before we change our connection type from Leased line to ADSL , we have cisco 800 router and Leased line connect to cisco 800 and after that we connect it to our NAT server , every thing was good and it work like charm , but after change connection type , ISP give us Zyxcel ADSL modem with 10 startic IP , and our IPS do not say what we must do with this ADSL modem and these IPs.
> we do not know , which mode we must use in ADSL modem , PPoE or bridge ?

That depends on how the ADSL is configured.  You will need to get that information from the ISP.  Or you can try it both ways and see which one works.  The wrong setting will not work at all.  You won't be able to establish a link to the ISP.  One of the lights on the modem will remain red.

> we do not know use PPoE or Bridge mode with ADSL modem and our ISP do not give us enough information , if I want make NAT server with PF with mode I must set in ADSL modem ? PPoE or bridge ?

See above.

> we do not know how we must config our NAT server ,

Probably the only change is to the static IP addresses.

> we do not know we need ppp or no ?

Probably not.

> we do not konw how we must config PF .

Should be the same as before with IP addresses changed appropriately.  The only issue might be the pf commands changed somewhat in one of the later OBSD releases.  You may have to revert to the older syntax.