can you assign or associate carp to a real interface? (carp + carpdev)

kevin k at kevinkevin.com
Wed Mar 9 19:54:31 UTC 2011

Hello,

According to OpenBSD's PF manual, located here :

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/carp.html

It describes a directive that can be passed to CARP , called "carpdev",
which "specifies the physical network interface that belongs to this
redundancy group"

My question is that , after noticing that this directive doesn't exist in
FreeBSD's man page for carp, is there any way to associate a  CARP device
with a real interface? For example if  I have a server with two interfaces
with IP addresses on the same subnet - how will carp know which real
interface to associate with?

My understanding is that if no 'carpdev' directive is passed, carp will
detect the interface if its on the same subnet as the given carp ip.

If this can be done , please let me know!

Thanks,

Kevin