PF port forward problem with Sonicwall VPN

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 09:28:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Artyom Viklenko wrote:

> 28.01.2011 10:49, andy thomas :
>> I'm maintaining some OpenBSD-based firewalls and have been really
>> stumped with a problem when trying to add a Sonicwall VPN appliance
>> behind the firewall, and thought I'd ask here for help.
>>
>> The Sonicwall device uses SSL on port 443 for it's external VPN traffic
>> and listens on other ports for internal LAN traffic and it uses a single
>> network interface for this. On our installation, there is a webmail
>> server behind the firewall listening on port 443 and the existing PF
>> rule for this is (abbreviated for clarity):
>>
>> ext_if="vr0"
>> int_if="vr1"
>>
>> webmail="192.168.30.14"
>>
>> rdr pass log on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 443 ->
>> $webmail port 443
>>
>> This works fine so as external port 443 is already in use for webmail, I
>> decided to use external port 444 for the Sonicwall and added these two
>> extra rules:
>>
>> sonicwall="192.168.30.28"
>>
>> rdr pass log on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 444 ->
>> $sonicwall port 443
>>
>> However, the Sonicwall cannot be accessed from the external port 444
>> although it can be accessed internall on port 443 of course. I have
>
> Check your filtering rules on internal interface, may be you have 'pass'
> for trafic to webmail host and doesn't for sonicwall?

Thanks for the quick response - here are the existing internal interface
rules:

# int_if

pass in on $int_if proto carp keep state
pass out on vr1 proto carp keep state
pass in  on $int_if proto tcp from any to any flags S/SA keep state
pass in  on $int_if proto { udp, icmp } from any to any keep state
pass out on $int_if all keep state label "int_net:$if:out"

I should add this firewall also handles IPsec VPN with other rules using
port 500 and the enc0 interface but this should not affect Sonicwall on
port 443, should it? If it's of any help I can post the entire pf.conf but
it's very long - I didn't write this and have only recently taken over
responsibility for the firewalls along with the FreeBSD-based server
infrastructure.

(The IPsec VPN doesn't work very well with ShrewSoft VPN clients under
Windows 7 so the company bought the Sonicwall as a solution for this
problem although IPsec/Shrewsoft VPN works fine with machines
running Windows XP).

thanks, Andy