long term maintenance of pf in FreeBSD (AKA where's pf 4.7?)

The Anarcat anarcat at koumbit.org
Thu Jan 13 06:11:12 UTC 2011

Hi!

I have digged into the archive after reading in the handbook that pf is
stuck at OpenBSD's 4.1 version, which is now quite old (may 2007).

I have found this thread mentionning testing required for a patch:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2010-October/005842.html

... it then seemed the patch had some issues:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2010-October/005860.html

Others have raised a similar issue about backporting 4.7 into FreeBSD:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2010-October/005862.html

For context, OpenBSD 4.7 (may 2010) is the last significant release
including changes in pf:

http://openbsd.org/47.html#new

So my question is: what's the plan? Is anybody actively maintaining pf
in FreeBSD at this point?

Is it because the backporting process is painful that it's not being
done regularly?

Or is it only because of the lack of testers?

A.

PS: I ask because we're considering switching our routers from OpenBSD
to FreeBSD to ease maintenance (yay freebsd-update) but the outdated pf
version is a serious hindrance as we're looking at using the new
'sloppy' state tracking mecanisms

PPS: please CC, i'm not on the list (yet?)

--
Antoine Beaupré
Réseau Koumbit Networks