For better security: always "block all" or "block in all" is enough?

Peter Maxwell peter at allicient.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 15:02:28 UTC 2010

Ah, sarcasm - that implies you must be right.

If, as you say, there are "Governance, Risk, and Compliance reasons",
perhaps you'd like to specify one or two for each category?

Logging a default deny on an internal firewall, yes - ok - I agree with you,
that's probably reasonable.  However, logging every blocked packet on an
internet facing firewall is plain daft.  Even the storage requirements would
be somewhat onerous, and that's before trying to process the data into
something meaningful.  And all to confirm that there's a lot of noise and
port scanning going on.

In practical terms, it may not make much of a difference with pf on FreeBSD
- personally, I haven't tested it.  I have however seen commercial firewalls
fall-over from less.  What sort of bandwidth and new connections per second
rates and hardware were you using, out of interest?