setfib + pf + synproxy not working

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Fri Jan 8 05:31:13 UTC 2010

iH,
   Playing around with FIBs and jails.

The host system is on a private 172.xxx network with a gateway of 172.xxx
going through a NAT box for internet. [fib 0]

The jail has only a public IP, on fib 1 [with gateway being ISP router]

With this, the jail is working fine.

What I'm trying to accomplish is portknocking for 'ssh' access:

pass in log quick proto tcp from any to any port {1234} synproxy state \
  (max-src-conn-rate 5/15, overload <portknock_ssh>)

Because the jail is on 'fib 1', the connection is never established to
overload the rule. The 'synproxy state' is communicating via the
172.xxxx/default gateway [of fib 0] instead of via the public "fib 1"

I can ssh into the jail if I do
pass in log quick proto tcp from any to any port {22} keep state

I CANNOT ssh into the jail if I do
pass in log quick proto tcp from any to any port {22} synproxy state

Anyway I can force 'synproxy' to communicate via fib 1 ?

]Peter[