(no subject)

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Sun Apr 11 06:55:12 UTC 2010

> Hiya all,
>
> Could someone clarify for me the purpose of the
> bandwidth parameter when used with hfsc? Please consider my queue (512Kb
>  max upload through the ADSL line):
>
>  altq on em1 bandwidth 500Kb
> hfsc queue { ack, dns, ssh, other }
>   queue ack        bandwidth 95%
> priority 8 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime   20%)
>   queue dns
> bandwidth 95% priority 7 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime    5%)
>   queue
> ssh        bandwidth 95% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime   20%)
> {ssh_login, ssh_bulk}
>    queue ssh_login bandwidth 95% priority 6
> qlimit 500 hfsc
>    queue ssh_bulk  bandwidth 95% priority 5 qlimit
> 500 hfsc
>   queue other      bandwidth 95% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc
> (realtime   20% default)
>
> My understanding was that "bandwidth 20%" tells pf that the queue can only
> use 20% of the total parent queue
> bandwidth and the various guides on the Internet say that it cannot go
> above 100% which sort of makes sense. However what I want, for example,
> is the 'other' queue to get all the upload bandwidth as long as there is
>  no acks or ssh traffic in the queue. If I set bandwidth 20% for other,
> won't that mean that no matter what, the 'other' queue will only get a
> maximum of 20% of the bandwidth (even if there is no ssh traffic
> waiting?)

As I remember and how I've got it setup:
[http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2009-March/005061.html]

hfsc by default borrows from parent [up to 100% or 'upperlimit' you set] -
So if your other queues are not being used, it will borrow from parents
unless you have an upperlimit set.
That link has more info/explanation on how it worked for me.

]Peter[