return-icmp() relative question to ipf rule.

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Wed Oct 28 17:22:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:23, remko@ wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2009, at 4:02 PM, jhell wrote:

>>> *click* (the light is on)
>>>
>>>        Options returning ICMP packets currently have no effect if pf(4)
>>>        operates on a if_bridge(4), as the code to support this feature has
>>>        not yet been implemented.
>>>
>>> from the Manual page. I think that answers the question?
>>>

>> Thanks Remko,
>>
>> No I'm not using if_bridge(4) here, nor any bridge for that matter. I have
>> tested this directly from interface -> interface with a patch cable
>> thinking that the click that I heard from the light above would actually
>> turn something on but was just throwing a breaker.
>

> OK, yes I understand what you mean. I over-read the bridge part. My apologies
> for the confusion this caused. I am not sure whether it then should or should
> not work though. One thing that I noticed is that you speak about
> 'it was in IPF and it isn't in PF', please keep in mind that PF is a complete
> rewrite and looks similiar to IPF with syntax etc. Features found there are
> no guarantee that it will be in PF as well. Doesn't make up the fact that the
> documentation indeed talks about it being possible and seemingly impossible
> to do it.
>
> I added Max to the discussion, he might be able to tell whether or not this
> is integrated and whether it should work at all :-)
>
> Thanks for catching my misread part!

Hey its no problem at all, I appreciate the feedback because I thought
that possibly I might have missed something that wasn't allowing it to work
but I have tried all kinds of trickery around the likes of adding pass out
all rules of type ICMP with specific codes and such before and after the
rule in question and nothing seems to do it. So some input on this was
better than none at all. Thanks for your response and can't wait for some
more interaction on this thread as this has now just become a annoying
unreachable objective for me.

Best regards.

--

  ;; dataix.net!jhell         2048R/89D8547E 2009-09-30
  ;; BSD since FreeBSD 4.2    Linux since Slackware 2.1