more tests - pf + altq + cbq(borrow) not borrowing from parent

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Thu Mar 19 14:17:10 PDT 2009

> On Thursday 19 March 2009 21:46:20 Pojken Purken wrote:
>> > In theory and example as seen on
>> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html - Example #2: Company
>> Network
>> >
>> >  The poshta queue should borrow fully from the parent queue
>> [extranet],
>> > but borrowing seems to _only_ work from the root queue/first level
>> down.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something here?
>> >
>> > ]Peter[
>>
>> I think Max has to answer this if he sees this post. In any case I guess
>> you have to be clear about what your available upload bandwidth is on
>> fxp0, it can't be both 100Mb and 876Kb, can it?
>
> I still don't understand the OP's setup.  Peter can you please provide a
> clear
> picture of what you are trying to achieve?  I have a feeling that you are
> trying to use ALTQ for shaping incoming traffic - which is a no-go.
>
> --
> /"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org
> \ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661

I'm trying to queue outgoing traffic from server.
In all tests only pulling data from server via sftp
  server -> 100MB tgz -> desktop
I know the queue rules are working because if I change things around, the
speed in the sftp pull of this file changes dramatically.

These changes are on the server, nothing is touched/changed on desktop:
pf+altq are on the server.

altq on fxp0 cbq bandwidth 100Mb queue {extranet}
   queue extranet bandwidth 886Kb {poshta}
        queue poshta bandwidth 186Kb cbq(borrow,default)

With this setup, I can download FROM this server to desktop at 20KB
If I change to this setup:

altq on fxp0 cbq bandwidth 100Mb queue {extranet}
   queue extranet bandwidth 886Kb {poshta}
        queue poshta bandwidth 856Kb cbq(borrow,default)

I can download FROM this server to desktop at 100KB
  the 'poshta' queue does not seem to borrow from it's parent as I
understand it should.