Extremely simple redirect rule doesnt appear to be working

Tim Traver tt-list at simplenet.com
Thu Jul 2 21:27:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,

ok, I'm a little new to messing around with pf, but have come up for a
need that it sounds like it should be able to solve.

I want to be able to redirect outgoing http requests from the box back
to local addresses on the box...

In reading up, it appears that the redirect config line should do that,
and in testing, I have a simple line like this in the pf.conf

rdr pass inet proto tcp from any to 209.131.36.158 port 80 -> [internal
address here] port 80

now, I haven't made that internal address be an address on the local box
yet, cause I'm testing to see how this works...

I can manually telnet to [internal address here] port 80 with no
problems and get the apache greeting.

Once I turn on and load the pf.conf file (with pfctl -F all -f
/etc/pf.conf), and I try to telnet to 209.131.36.158 port 80 (generic
www.yahoo.com), I don't get redirected to the internal address port 80
and get the apache greeting that is expected...

I did turn on port forwarding as per the instructions for NAT, although
it didn't say if it was needed for rdr.

net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

in netstat, I see it trying to actually reach the ouside IP, which it
cant, so the translation didn't appear to take affect...

am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Tim.