External scripts with PF.

Gaurav Ghimire gaurav at subisu.net.np
Tue Dec 22 07:06:07 UTC 2009

Peter Maxwell wrote:
> 2009/12/22 Gaurav Ghimire <gaurav at subisu.net.np>:
>

>> thinking if I could be informed via an email alert that  a new IP has
>> been added to the table abusive_ips.  It seems this would have been
>> possible if there was a possibility that I could trigger an external
>> script on the rule 3rd rule I have. And the external script would just
>> do pfctl -t abusive_ips -T show and mail it to me, or I could just have
>> some more intelligence there and save a record of the previous show
>> output and mail the diffs that way I could get the new IPs that have
>> been added to the table. And inform them clients that they have
>> something fishy going at there end that is bombing my mail servers. That
>> way I would not need to make it a regular cron job and would have the
>> advantage of running it only when a new IP is added to the table.
>>
>> Was just thinking if this could have been possible.
>>

> Writing or modifying a script to suit your needs then putting it in a
> crontab to run even every few minutes will do what you want.  It will
> also take significantly less effort than breaking out your C compiler
> and learning enough about pf's API and internals to do it more
> elegantly.
>
> Apart from anything else, it is poor firewall design to have your
> firewall box execute code based on rules getting hit; if you don't
> understand why, seriously - get someone else to setup the firewall for
> you.  If you look at commercial firewalls, any event notification is
> not done by the firewall appliance itself, it's always done on either
> a separate management console, IDS, SEM, whatever.

Hi Peter,

Yes I understand your concern here regarding the alert and notification
job being something that a Firewall isn't supposed to do. Lack of
resources makes you try to get much more of out of something, though it
might seem impractical :) .

I will take your suggestions in consideration. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Gaurav Ghimire
System Administrator - Systems (R&D)